Small Animal Network of St Petersburg will be working primarily with critters often labelled as "pocket pets" - guinea pigs, hamsters, chinchillas, and the occasional rabbit, sugar glider, rat, etc. We do NOT work with dogs or cats.
This group will focus on education.
The type and number of animals we take in will depend on the number and availability of our foster homes.
For more info, visit our ABOUT US page.
How You Can Help:
- AWESOME FOSTER FAMILIES!!!!: We cannot function without enough foster homes! The purpose of foster homes is to provide these critters with the experience of a loving human to show them that we can be trusted to shelter them, feed them, cuddle them, spend time with them, and give them lots of attention. If we had a shelter, or had one location with multiple animals in cages, not only is that a stressful enviroment for the critters, but it also leaves very little time for each animal to get the love and affection that they each deserve. We can easily have one home with 20 animals in it, and be able to provide food, water and a clean environment. However, the purpose of this rescue is to prepare them for a loving family, and we feel that the best way that we can do that is to be able to devote enough personal time with each of them.
- FOREVER FAMILIES!!!!: We would be remiss if we did not emphasize the need for permanent homes. ;-)
- FLEECE BLANKETS: We use fleece in their cages. It is way more comfortable for them and much more cost effective to use rather than constantly buying shavings or pellets.
- NEWSPAPERS: We use these under the fleece blankets to absorb liquids (urine, water ...)
- PUBLIX GIFT CARDS: used to buy fresh vegetables!
- For a detailed listing of supplies that we need daily, please check out our WISH LIST at: AMAZON WISH LIST
What We Do
- Our focus is on GUINEA PIGS, Chinchillas, Hamsters, and the occasional rat, ferret, hedgehog, sugar glider and rabbit. Our space is limited to what foster space is available.
- VETERINARY CARE AND FOSTER HOMES to strays - generally they come from veterinary hospitals, humane societies/Animal Control/SPCA, and those found roaming the streets.
- EDUCATION: We provide education on the proper care of these specialized critters - things like the correct diet, type of housing, and answering any questions and/or concerns that you may have. All questions are welcomed- thank you for trying to learn everything that you can (and the critters thank you)!
- PET SITTING: If you are going away for a weekend, or even a couple of weeks, we will care for your little ones as a way to raise money for the rescue. All proceeds go directly towards rescue costs (food, veterinary care, etc)!
- BONDING HELP: Want to add another rabbit or guinea pig to the family, but don't know how to go about making sure they get along? Let us know - we have a few options that we can provide to help!
- EMERGENCY SHELTER is provided to those critters escaping an abusive or potentially dangerous situation. When you need to act quickly to find yourself and your children someplace to go, and do not want to leave your animals behind, contact us for a safe haven for them.